DIY Weilong GTS M

My order of 50 N50 Neodymium Magnets came in yesterday, so I went to work on my Weilong GTS.

Before installing the magnets, I always have loved the GTS but have had problems with its stability and kept its loose tensions. At a comp, a guy had said that my GTS felt "too loose", but I didn't mind because different people have different preferences.

Once I put the magnets in with the same tensions, I fell in love AGAIN with my main. It's stable AND loose. A win win. I used this link (http://kzcubereview.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-diy-magnetic-gts-and-tutorial.html) to follow through the tutorial.

At first, I was confused with the idea of polarity in the cube and I blamed this confusion because of how bad I am at science (lol), but it just turns out it's just common sense. Instead of listing out the polarity, I glued on a single magnet on a corner piece (as shown in the linked tutorial) and brought out an edge piece and let another magnet connect naturally. I, then, glued that edge down then repeated for the rest.
  (Shot on a Canon EOS M3)

Problems I ran into while I was gluing down the magnets were:
  1. The stack of magnets connecting to glued down cube magnets and detaching while I was in the process of another piece
    1. To fix this, I had to reglue the piece and have a seperate area to keep the stack of magnets away from the fixed cube magnets
  2. The glue being too runny (since I used Krazy Glue)
    1. I used only a drop on the plastic then set the magnet then put supporting glue around the magnet
  3. The magnet not sticking onto the plastic
    1. I used an X-acto Knife to cut little slits into the plastic with both horizontal and vertical lines, so the glue would really grab onto the plastic. (Tip used from DMCubing youtube)
    2. I placed a drop of glue on top of the magnet after placing it in and spread it around with a toothpick
  4. TOO MUCH glue 
    1. I used a paper towel to soak up the excess glue quickly before it dried.

Overall, this was not a hard project even though I listed quite a few problems, but those problems were easily solvable. I would really recommend magnetizing a cube if you have the tools and a budget of at least $10 (for the magnets and glue). This project was inexpensive and I feel proud that I made a $50 cube for $5. Not that I'm depreciating the Cubicle, but money is hard to come by so making this saved my wallet.

Here's a video of an ao5 with the Weilong GTS M (using Roux :D)

Comments

Popular Posts